Wednesday, February 09, 2005

 

Yarn Snobs

"Yarn snobs" is my new phrase for the week. I learned it at Knitty.com and it refers to those who prefer the non-acrylic yarns. You know, they like the angoras, silks, natural fibers, and things like kid mohair. I'm not sure about the difference between kid mohair and regular (adult?) mohair. Is it like veal and lamb? Poor baby mohairs.

I am not a yarn snob. Unfortunately, mostly because I do not have the monies needed to be a yarn snob. But also because .... wool makes me itch. But I am finding out that their are wools and there are WOOLS. So, I have yarn snob envy at the moment. I'll be keeping an eye out for great sales, let me tell you!

However, when my friend Mary went with me to Wilson, NC to a local yarn store (LYS from now on), I did find a small sale. I bout two balls (they are rounded and don't think they can be referred to as skeins) of Giardino. Obviously Italian, it says so on the label. If I'm reading this right it is 85% cotton and 15% "polyamid". Polyamid? I think that's synthetic, but if I'm wrong don't be too surprised. This is a very pretty blue than when knitted supposedly looks like butterflies on a field of blue. Right .....

Except, Mary bought some that looks like daisies on a field of green. And it kinda really does! When I get my butterfly scarf made (for a friend's little girl) then I'll have to see about putting a picture up on the blog. I wasn't able to get a pic of my Wavy scarf, cuz well ... I finished it at 11:30 last night and gave it away at lunch today. It was for a co-worker's birthday. She really seemed to love it.

SECRET: I only did 9 of the 10 sections because of time constraints. But it still looks gorgeous and it was certainly long enough. Only I know (and now you) that it wasn't completely complete. Why does this feel like cheating? She loves the scarf and will never know the difference. But I know.

She does really like it though.

Comments:
Not a Yarn Snob huh? Just wait... there are better yarn Stores in Raleigh... The stock was low in Wilson, so you didn't get the full effect... but we did find some bargains. :)

Glad your co-worker liked her scarf.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?