Wednesday, April 06, 2005

 

Victory!

A small battle has been fought and won .... oh joyous rapture. Or something pretty darn close.

I moved to a very small town two years ago. The closest bookstore is in a larger (relatively) town about 15 minutes from my house. Books A Million. (Books a Hundred? Books maybe?) Now. I am someone who likes certain authors, A LOT.

Laurell K. Hamilton
Raymond Fiest
Anne Bishop
Stephen Brust
Charlaine Harris
Mary Janice Davidson
Christine Feehan
Sherrilyn Kenyon
Tom Clancy
Angela Knight
Jennifer Crusie
Janet Evanovich
J.K. Rowling

These are just a few and are listed in no particular order. However, I am VERY aware of when their new books are due out. I like to get them as soon as possible. My local BAM store is not so good about getting them out on the day they are released. I have pushed several times for people to go into the back and FIND my book that is supposed to be out on the floor. I can go to the BAM in Wilson, 30 minutes away .... but why should I when they are supposed to have my book in the local store? I spoke with a manager, finally. He told me a secret is to pre-order a book and it will be ready and waiting on the release date whether or not the books have been put out on the floor.

This worked well ... ONCE.

Then they "lost" an order, took forever looking and couldn't find it. But they found me "another copy". I get home from this trip and there is a message on my machine that they have my book. *sigh*

Well. Last week I went into BAM to pre-order Laurell K. Hamilton's new Merry Gentry book. They said they were not due to get ANY of her books (best selling author that she is) and even if I order it, it would not be shipped until the release date. Meaning I MIGHT get it a week later.

I did something I've never done before. I called the customer service number and complained. No names were mentioned, I am not after anyone's job. I didn't think I would get much response.

Last night (during American Idol) they called. Were shocked to find out of my series of unfortunate book-searches. Assured me they would look into whether the problem was with the store or the distributor. Right. But hey, American Idol was still on when the store manager called me in response to a call from his disctrict manager. They assure me that the HAVE MY BOOK (remember, they told me they weren't getting any copies) already in stock. It can't be sold until the release date, but they have put aside a copy with my name on it.

I have to say, I was pleasantly suprised by the quick and painless answer to my complaint. I was ready to give up on Books A Million, but now I will withhold judgement .... at least until April 12th.

Happy Reading and God Bless

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?