Sunday, December 11, 2005

 

Muay Thai

Hmmm. Just finished watching the movie ONG BAK. This was an action movie without stunt doubles, without CGI, and without wire-work. The movie was gorgeous, if a bit predictable. But there was one thing ... just one thing ... and I HAVE TO FIND OUT!

The hero, Ting, was practicing his muay thai moves at the beginning (you know, where the master warns him never to use what he's been taught, yada yada). He names the moves.

And one movement had a name: "The Fall of Hera".

The fall of HERA??????? Hera was a greek mythological goddess. GREEK I tell you, not Thai. I know some history, pretty good with some of it. I can geek it out with some since I actually had 3 state titles in Greek and Roman mythology in highschool, and tied for 2nd one year. It's been a while since high school (we won't go into that), but I don't recall any stories of the Greeks and Thai peoples mixing.

Now, it could be a complete coincidence and the names are the same, that's all. But a cursory look on-line did not bring up any references to HERA and Thailand except for this move.

This is going to drive me batty!

If you know of anything about this subject, please, please PLEASE let me know!!!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?