Monday, February 27, 2006

 

The Highs, The Lows, and the Plainly Odd

The Plainly Odd: I thought I was done with the whole "My name is Lola" stuff. Haven't heard the Kink's play "Lola" at all. The Copacabana song is (thankfully!) gone from my mind, no more humming it at odd moments. Then today, I heard the Kinks sing "Destroyer". First line "I met a girl called Lola".

Guess what, I guess I'm still Lola.

The Highs: Watching the mayor of Vancouver, Sam Sullivan, accept the Olympic flag at the end of the Winter Games. Why? The man is a quadraplegic and has been since a skiing accident at age 19. His quote?

"Some have questioned the wisdom of Vancouver sending its worst skiier to Torino."


Gotta love a guy with class. He was told it might be wise to allow someone else (read an ABLEBODIED someone else) handle the flag for him. He refused, having a custom made piece placed on his motorized wheelchair to hold the flag and then after receiving it, turning tight circles (with limited upperbody mobility to guide the chair) to make the flag wave properly. He said:

"The worst case scenario - the flag blows in my face and I fall off the edge of the stage."


Definately a high point.

Another High: Saw THE CONSTANT GARDENER last evening. Fantastic movie, and no, I had not read the book. Well done and well protrayed all the way around. I applaud heartily the acting of Ralph Fiennes, as always. But I have to hold my breath (and turn blue) for the brilliant versatility of .... Bill Nighy. This actor has made me roll with laughter LOVE ACTUALLY and shiver with fear UNDERWORLD among many, many, MANY roles. I won't tell you his character in this film, I won't be giving any plot comments, because, well ... that would be just plain low.

As for another LOW:

The night commuters of Uganda. I had read some on CNN about these children and their plight and fears (very real fears). My heart broke for them, marching every night to town and safety from their home villages to avoid being kidnapped and tortured, raped, and things I won't even mention here (but go search for yourself if you will). Then, in watching THE CONSTANT GARDNER, which is set in Kenya there was a scene from the Sudan that showed a raid and children being taken. I can tell you, it wrenches the heart terribly to know that this is going on in the world we all live in.

I have some guilt. I live comfortably. Not rich and not even middle-class really, but nicely comfortable. Some months are better than others at bill paying. I worry about crime in the area at times. But nothing like these children face daily in their reality. In the movie, one of the lines really helped me - and forgive me for paraphrasing but basically ... you may not be able to help everyone, the problem is too big for that, but if you can help just ONE - that is a big difference, far bigger than you or I can ever realize.

I may not have a lot, but if I find a way (and there are THOUSANDS of ways both big and small), then I will have made a difference. I won't extoll anyone else to do the same, but .... okay, yes I will. If you can help someone in need, anyone, no matter how big or small, it will make a difference.

Lola

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?