Tuesday, February 14, 2006

 

Olympic Thoughts

I know I love watching the Olympics. I'm cool with being an Olympic geek. What I hate is going into work and NO ONE watched the night before. When I tried to relate my deep respect for the little Chinese figure skater who was so brave to finish the event after falling during a quad attempt, when I was told "I don't care".

Flat out. "I don't care." No humoring me, no listening politely. I was kinda shocked to tell the truth. My best friends don't watch and could care less as well. I didn't realize how lonely that made me feel til I drove over to my mother's home in Greenville (for her birthday dinner). I walked in to find my mom and step-dad watching curling (Japanese and USA women). They HAD watched last night and felt the same way I did about it all. Then my step-brother and his wife came over briefly and acknowledged that they watched as well.

To all you Olympic not-carers .... boooooo.

I know and accept you have your own feelings and if you don't care to watch, fine. But I can't help but feel that you are missing out on something. "Something" that I can't quite definre ... it's not really a feeling of world closeness or peace, but it has elements of that. It's not really pride in your team, or an underdog, but those have elements in there as well. I really can't describe how ... NICE it is to watch people give their very all despite hardship, financial ruin, and out and out pain simply to show their best to the whole world.

BTW ... congrats to Joey Cheek of Greensboro, NC on his gold medal victory in speed skating.

Ta

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?