Tuesday, March 07, 2006

 

The Safety Dance

Okay, I'm not dead yet. And that's only a slightly exaggerated comment. Sunday was bad. So bad I do not feel the need to go into details. Monday I worried I might have pneumonia. A neighbor of my mother's had just lost a teen-age granddaughter to viral pneumonia and my next door neighbor's daughter (who was staying with them) has pneumonia.

See, the thing is ... I rarely ever get sick. And when I do, it drops me. This had me down. But last night I slept better and with no fever after 7 p.m., I chanced going back to work today. I knew I'd be exhausted, and I was - but the good news is no fever. I'm on the road to recovery. yeah!

Here's the interesting part. I get stressed - I eat. I get mad - I eat. I get happy - I eat. Get the pattern? Well, when I get sick - I eat more (and usually the junky stuff). Not this time. For the first time in my entire life .... I lost my appetite. I have not had a meal since Saturday. I've snacked, very lightly despite my best efforts. I finally had a bowl of soup this afternoon, I don't know if you count that as a "meal", but I generally don't.

Which means (drumroll) ... I've lost 3 pounds. This normally would hearken me. Yeah 3 pounds and all that jazz. However, what I'm feeling is more like I was that sick and miserable and ALL I lost was a measely 3 pounds??????. Sad but true. I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that, but sheeeez. In all actuallity, I'm just so glad to be recovering I'm happy that it was only 3 pounds. It could have been much worse.

Sooooo ... I was feeling better and driving home from work. I can climb into my jammies, curl up, try and eat, and go to bed waaay early. So I was happy, I was feeling better and ... and ... on the radio came the song from the 80's "The Safety Dance".

Now, I loooooved this song. I guess I still do. I played it over and over and over on the way home. (yes, I have a replay button on my Sirius radio, turn green with envy!) This is something that drove my brothers bonkers years ago, me playing the same song over and over again. But, hey - I was alone in the car, on a beautiful day, recovering from misery and 3 pounds lighter! "We can dance if we want to, we can leave your friends behind. Because they don't dance and if they don't dance then they're no friends of mine".

Alright. I'm off to lounge around and do nothing but recover. Wait, I take it back, I have a sudden urge to pull out my Adam Ant and Def Leopard CD's .....

Lola

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?