Friday, September 29, 2006

 

Hysterics

Lola is sick people. Stressed out and sniffling, nausea is taking a toll.

That said, it's all my Aunt's fault.

Not the sinus, or post-nasal drip ... she's in Texas and I'm here in NC, so how can it be her fault? STRESS.

As many of you know, my grandmother, Genie, is 96 years old with congestive heart failure and weak kidneys. She recently had a (successful) surgery to remove an isolated spot of colon cancer. Genie was admitted to a skilled nursing facility for one month of rehab to get her strength back to go home.

Yesterday, I got two messages from my Aunt. "Call as soon as possible". When I talked to her it was "it's bad, it's very very bad". She told me that Genie had a heart "episode" and later told me she'd had a second "heart attack".

Now then. I KNOW my Aunt exaggerates terribly. She believes absolutely in what she says and is not a liar, but always puts things in the worst possible way. I got no sleep whatsoever, expecting a midnight call and an early trip to Houston. This morning, I got so sick and nauseated that I had to stay home. I hardly every stay home people. This is not like me.

I called Genie's room and there was no response. Normally that would mean she's in therapy, but with two heart attacks that's not possible. I'm a therapist, I know. So I called the facility to see if she had been sent out to the hospital or was too medicated to answer the phone in her room. Nope. She was in therapy. They transfered me to the therapy gym and I spoke with her therapist.

Genie had not had two "heart attacks", she had two incidents where her blood pressure was not right, some nausea and tingling in her left hand. So they took immediate action, let her rest and medicated her. Typical behavior for those living with congestive heart failure, a disease that could kill you tomorrow or 10 years from now. She'd had a good night's sleep and felt great. I didn't want to interrupt therapy, but they couldn't have been nicer and put her on the phone.

She sounded terrific. Well rested, happy, and at ease. She loved my flowers and I shouldn't have of course. Michael sent her the loveliest letter and wasn't that so sweet of him? Trish was out buying her new clothes for rehab and she couldn't be nicer. I was so relieved, I cried.

I called everyone with the update. Then I thought to call my Uncle Tommy in Oklahoma. He was on pins and needles as well, having gotten the same calls from the same person. He was so relieved to hear what I had learned, you could really hear it in his voice.

I know better people. My aunt exaggerates situations to the worst possible scenario. But part of me keeps thinking "what if this time she's right?" everytime she calls.

I'm heading to Texas soon, very soon. It all depends on schedules and whether or not I'm offered a new position that I've applied for. More on those things later.

My step-father is in rehab as well, for his knee replacement. He's got good days and then days that he's nothing but a baby and lashing out. He thinks rehab pushes him too far. I want to scream and tell him that a woman three decades older than him is doing better in rehab than he is, but I can't. It wouldn't be productive.

Lola is stressed, but things are going well ... so far. I pray they only get better.

God Bless

Comments:
Hang in there sweetie. Genie is clearly in good hands, and is her life is as full as it could possibly be. I recognize these days, I went through them with my grandmother too, and am about to go through them with my aunt.

Enjoy every day you have her, make sure she knows it, and you'll both live in peace when she's moved on.

Remember to exhale. Hugs.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?