Thursday, December 28, 2006

 

Tempus Fugit

Tempus Fugit, or "time flies".

In the past I've faced death many times. I've seen numerous patients come, heal, or go not-so-gently into the good night. I've had patient's put on comfort measures, or picked up by Hospice care.

I've lost both grandfathers and one grandmother. I've lost my own father. I've lost friends and former boyfriends. I've lost my best friend's mothers and aunts.

Death is not a stranger.

But I still hate his @$$. Not really though. Death is a natural part of life and I know it, but damn, it still hurts.

No, my grandmother Genie has not passed away. She's fiesty as ever.

I agreed to do some PRN (extra work on top of my regular job) work for a local hospital. Just a few hours a week, pick up some extra money for my new-to-me car payment. This is a facility speciallizing in fragile, vent-dependent patients and the like. One-on-one care only. Some still on so many lines and monitors it's hard to move them. I love it.

"S" and "L" are the OT's there. I was asked to help cover "L's" 3 week vaction home. Home is South Africa for her, so therefor it's not a short trip. No problem. "S" is very nice and very organized and there is no problem.

Until Tuesday when I get the call that "S" has gone unresponsive and had a major bilateral subarachnoid hemmorhage. She's 42. Wife and mother of three - a third grader, a kindergartener and a 6 month old she was still breastfeeding.

Today they took her off the vent. There had been at least three separate types of tests and none showed any brain activity. Her organs have been donated.

I'm reeling. First, "S" wasn't much older than myself. Second, all the work on me has exploded, because now it's only PRN staff covering until they can find some more help. Third, oh that poor family and those babies!!!! Fourth - through however many there can be ... while I barely knew "S" personally, I liked her. I knew people who liked her a lot. And while it's not a friend or family, or even a patient, it has hit me on the blindside.

What to say? Not much.

Life is fragile, and even those of us who are aware of that can be thrown for a major loop.

Time doesn't stand still, it flies ... and it doesn't care whose path it crosses or who it throws off course.

Sorry this is a down kind of post,

God bless and keep you,
Lola

Comments:
Oh, sweetie...

(((hugs)))
 
Thank you my friend, I needed that hug. Things are picking up, a retired OT has agreed to come in (still licensed!) and has cleared out a lot of the case load, making it more manageable ... and me a lot less tired and cranky.

So far the hospital has raised over $2000 and is trying to raise more for the families expenses. We're all still reeling, but we're also pulling together.

Love ya!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?